View Single Post
Old 10-27-2002, 12:45 AM
Micro Hybrid Master

I have been running 8 cells on the MC230CR for months now. No problems. Except that the throttle trim is slightly skewed towards reverse so on a full charge the car tends to creep backwards when idle. Once the juice drops a couple of 100mV it stops doing it. Doesn't affect driving performance in any way though. Sometimes when you let off the throttle though, it'll slam on the brakes instead of coasting to a stop cuz it thinks your trying to hit reverse, which as you know the first time you hit reverse it just brakes. Kinda weird little glitch in that it's operating at a higher voltage than it's intended. But the ESC never gets hot or shuts down. Even with more cells these motors only pull like 5 amps. I think you should bump up the juice! That motor can certainly handle it.

So the copper tube I got at my LHS. They should have lots of in the airplane section. I'll attach a pic of what I got. 1/8" fits inside the standard pinion and outside the shaft of the 380. But this won't work for the 300/370/280 motors cuz the shaft diameter is smaller. Standard Micro pinions are designed to fit on these motors (well with some grinding). But the inside diameter of this tubing isn't small enough to fit tightly on any of those motors. Unless you used maybe another piece of smaller tubing inside the other tubing. But you're on your own if you want to try that. I think a 14T for your basic 280 sized motors is as big as you should go.

But 380 (and 480 I suppose) sized motors need bigger pinions, but not too big! I think around 20 may be good. Because remember when I tried the 30T using the 540 motor the thing didn't move at all. It just sat on the ground and hummed. So I'd stay away from anything even close to 30T. Maybe a 22T max for this 380. But once again, there's dimishing returns with everything. There exists an optimum gear ratio and battery number, the trick is just to find it. And unfortunately the only way to do that is by experimenting with it, testing it out, and observing the results. Isn't that what makes this hobby so fun though?

-Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg copper.jpg (15.8 KB, 220 views)