Thread: Two Brothers
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2006, 03:51 PM

Back when our trucks were "relativly stock ", we kinda dragged to see how our 2 cells stacked up. Not completely advisable in the pitch blackness of the night though

I've got my CAW chassis finally mocked up. Well, everything is actually put together. It just needs some test runs to shake down any possible bugs. But, the new Hitec 85MG servo's and Kimbrough savers seem to be working well.

The extended chassis is a nice piece of work. Everything fits well and evrything that I needed for a trouble free install was present. The front and rear bumper is NICE, and this is an understatement.There is a small, metal washer that CAW supplies to go between their bumper, and the stock plastic brace that is re-used. The plastic brace should help take any "shock" that will get transfered to the truck from impacts front or rear.

The ladder bars (and chassis as whole) are pretty light and strong. All of the necassary parts were straight and are sturdy.

The extended axels also seem similarly well made. I'll have some HPI mesh 2.2" rims glued to Panther treads.

I didn't need to dremel out that much to get the Hitec 85MG servos to fit. After securing it to the chassis, I installed a pair of kimbrough savers on them. Those went on without any fuss. I even got the stock link between the 2 servos to work without and modifing. That was a nice plus, so i'll run with it. I actuallu used ball links to mount the steering 'buckles to the saver for their lowrr profile, but clearence to the surrounding parts is adaquet.

One thing I alomost forgot to check was the suspension travel. It's something not necassarily thought of for a chasis swap, but it was an issue for the saver set-up. I ended up mounting the Kimbrough saver facing foreword, with the ball link attached to it facing up. That elimanated any chances of the suspension binding due to a servo saver issue. Now I can push the truck down as far as she will go, and nothing binds.

I have some pix i'll try and get up tonight.