View Single Post
Old 10-27-2002, 12:01 PM
Micro Hybrid Master

The Speed 400 4.8V Race looks promising, but I can't get over the 4.8V part. I imagine the motor would be burnt toast if you tried running 9.6V volts to it. It does pull 17 amps though, higher than any motor in that list. I had a Watt-Age Super 400 motor that I tried once. It was pretty fast, but I had the 16T pinion on there and I didn't realize then that I needed to go higher. I was messing around with it last week, running a few batteries to it, watching it spin, when a small screw or something fell inside the casing and lodged itself against the armature and the magnets. That motor will never spin again. But I bet it is similar to that Rocket 400. Which might be better than this Watt-Age 380 for gearboxes. Same price almost, couldn't hurt to try both.

I was driving my car around this morning. I think a 20T is almost perfect. You might could go 1 or 2 teeth higher, but I think that we're nearing the top-end vs torque on this motor anyhow. The motor actually gets hot now while running and my batteries are dying faster. Surprise surprise. I'm having some issues with it right now though. I think that brushes may be wearing out because it's starting to get way glitchy, running on it's own most times, steering into stuff and stopping and going at will. But man it's fast. The tires totally "balloon" when I run it in my hand. It's cool.

-Dan