YourMicro.com Forums

YourMicro.com Forums (http://yourmicro.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Micro RC (http://yourmicro.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Harnois Videos - New Releases (http://yourmicro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18650)

harnois 08-29-2006 11:13 AM

Harnois Videos - New Releases

I've posted 2 videos on at www.harnoishobby.com. Go to the ah .... VIDEOS page. :D

Only 2 short clips so far, but we are working on more. I will post it here when we post new clips.

No on-car footage is posted yet, but we are working on it!

homer 08-29-2006 01:55 PM

Nice track!...now let's knock out that side wall and widened it for some even better action! :)

harnois 08-29-2006 02:17 PM

which side wall are you talking about?

homer 08-29-2006 02:33 PM

the side wall closests to the transparent bridge...
I think that's an exterior wall or to another unit? :D

Zeppelin 08-29-2006 02:48 PM

I see the Nissan does well:p

And I like the first video best, great acton.:D The track does seem more narrow in the video than in the pics, still probobly the greatest track ever made though.;)

alfred 08-29-2006 02:58 PM

Love the vid, and Penny knows how to spank some a$$ on the track, if you plan on coming here for a day you might need to leave her at home. lol:D

Zeppelin 08-29-2006 03:00 PM

Oh yeah, and sweet site!:D
Still no open wheel videos yet?

harnois 08-29-2006 03:05 PM

Yeah homer this is in my basement, and on the other side of that wall is my garage, which is also in the basement. I spent many hours drawing up various track designed looking for the way to get the most possible area out of my rather irregularly shaped basement. In the end I managed to get basically a 12' x 34' space.

harnois 08-29-2006 03:19 PM

Yeah the track is the narrowest I've ever seen anyone make. I learned when we first started playing around with on-car video, before this track existed, that the on-car action is better when the track is narrower because the shape of the track and other cars are more in-front of the cam car instead of out of view off to the side. Also just that there's more interaction between the cars when passing keeps it interesting. the things like the red-white rumble strip, the dips and rises, and other picturesque items also really help to make the on-car more interesting. Besides I actually looked up the width of full size road courses. The indianapolis road course circuit, for example, the one used for Formula 1, is something like 45 feet avg width, so my 28" width is proportional for 18th scale. As you can see we can still apex the turns and race cleanly. These days though there are more like 4 or 5 or even 6 cars vying for position instead of just 2, so it gets a bit wilder, especially if we're still running in a tight pack going into the last lap!

Zeppelin 08-29-2006 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfred (Post 189247)
Love the vid, and Penny knows how to spank some a$$ on the track, if you plan on coming here for a day you might need to leave her at home. lol:D

Yeah she isn't bad. and another question, what is the track surface made of?

harnois 08-29-2006 03:31 PM

Also, the wider the track, the simpler the layout has to be. For example, 6ft wide track in a 12ft wide room, can't do anything but 2 180-degree turns.

Penny is pretty durn good if I can give her a car that's fast and handles well.

Zeppelin 08-29-2006 03:34 PM

It does look pretty cramped in there, amn videos change everything.

harnois 08-29-2006 03:42 PM

zeppelin I have tons of on-car vid and most of that is with the open-wheeled car. In some cases racing with other open-wheeled cars. I have 15 to 20 hours of video (and growing), mostly on-car, some trackside, some like these vids with an overhead camera operator. Anyway, as soon as I find the time and technological resources, which I am working on, the best of it will make it's way to more online postings.

The track surface is flat black paint applied directly to the smooth concrete that is my basement floor. The inclined areas are 1/8th "all-purpose hardboard" aka masonite which is also painted with the same paint. Sheetrock mud smooths out all seams.

alfred 08-29-2006 03:47 PM

Its still a nice track indeed, you might need to invite me over so we could have a day of racing, the only problem is dont tell Penny about it....dont want to leave with tears in my eyes, lol, just joking of course.:D

harnois 08-29-2006 04:20 PM

For me this hobby is no fun without good drivers to race against. I would never have bought the cars and made the track if I wasn't reasonably sure I would have people coming over to race on a regular basis. Fortunately, we have 5 or 6 dedicated racers and that is all ya need. Actually 5 works very well on this track and 6 starts to get kinda nuts. Once we had 9 cars racing simultaneously, that was pretty funny. One of the reasons for participating in a forum is the possibility of finding more drivers, but usually poeple are too far away. So joking or not alfred, do come race with us if you got the time to make the drive. As long as you can stand to get beat by a girl. :D We race almost every Saturday from about 1pm to around 6ish.